Sunday, December 9, 2012

Jeni's Ice Cream - Orchid Vanilla Macaroon Sandwich

I've never really been a fan of ice cream sandwiches. But this is most likely due to an utter lack of quality ice cream sandwich products (at least around here). Thankfully, it seems that Jeni's Ice Cream has started to encourage this little niche to start expanding. At a recent trip to Whole Foods I noticed the Jeni's Ice Cream Macaroon Sandwiches, of which I've only ever heard good things.

The sandwich consists of two macaroons, which are actually more akin to French almond macarons (not the coconut macaroons you were most likely thinking of). The two macaroons are perfectly made, but since they're filled with a disc of ice cream (the best vanilla bean ice cream I've ever had, mind you), they literally melt in your mouth as you bite into them. Very similar to classic macarons, but no dry texture because of the ice cream. It also has a small amount of Blackcurrant Jam in the center, which I thought added a lovely, fruity taste. The blackcurrant jam only complemented the other flavors, and didn't overpower the vanilla flavor, as blackcurrant so often does.

This was (obviously) by far the best "ice cream sandwich" I've ever eaten. And that's probably why it cost around $7 (that and the fact that it has to be brought to the local stores all the way from Ohio). Although this is about twice as much as one might pay for two boxes of standard, grocery store ice cream sandwiches, I still think it's justified as a once in awhile treat. After all, it's around the same I would pay for two scoops of gelato at the local gelato shop, and the ice cream sandwich is quite large (could easily be halved for two servings). I will definitely be buying this again, and I can't wait to sample some of the other flavors from Jeni's macaroon sandwich line.

No comments:

Post a Comment