Sunday, December 9, 2012

Vosges Haut Chocolate - Tarte Caramel

During my most recent trip to Whole Foods, my father kindly pointed out a small box of what he called "gourmet caramels." As everyone in my life knows, I'm a (bit more than a) tad obsessed with all things blood orange. In all honesty, I didn't even look at the package before throwing them into my cart (after all, my father already said those two magical words....Blood orange).

The small box of caramels is actually made by the well known Vosges Haut Chocolate brand, which is known for its innovative chocolate creations. The caramels are Blood Orange with Campari, and are enrobed in dark chocolate, then sprinkled with Hibiscus powder. I happen to love Hibiscus as well, and loved the fruity and floral combination of the blood orange and hibiscus, which was enhanced by the bitter dark chocolate contrast. The blood orange caramel was extremely high quality, as was the dark chocolate.

I was really pleased with the first caramel I ate, but lost interest after the second one, and gave them to someone else to finish off a few days later. Don't get me wrong, they were definitely interesting and tasty, but once I realized that the small box of four cost about $10, I couldn't get over the guilt I felt for eating them. I happily would have bought one to try at a Vosges store, but felt like they should have been improved a bit (or included more) for that price.

No comments:

Post a Comment