Friday, November 23, 2012

Ciao Bella Prickly Pear Sorbet

I first fell in love with Ciao Bella's products about 5 years ago, when I placed an order for an online specialty foods market, which offered some of their original line. I had ordered one flavor of gelato, and one of their sorbets. Both products were far superior compared to my small town (technically city) area in New England, where local shops only offered standard ice cream flavors, and flavors like M&M and Lime Sherbet were still considered modern and exotic. And as for gelato and sorbet, forget it.

Thankfully, times have in fact changed around here, and we even have our own gelato and sorbet shops. But I still like to pick up some of the unique flavor offerings of gelato and sorbet when I shop at specialty shops and Whole Foods. So when I noticed the Prickly Pear Sorbet, I just knew I had to try it. Price be damned.

And speaking of prices, at $4.99 for a pint, the price wasn't as outrageous as some of the gelato and sorbet section of Whole Foods, but still fairly high. However, for those that are more patient that I am, Whole Foods regularly does deals for Ciao Bella's line where two items can be purchased for between $5 and $7, bringing the price for each pint to between $2.50 and $3.50 (comparable to standard grocery store prices for similar and often lesser products, not bad at all!)

When I returned home, I immediately stuck the pint in the freezer for an hour, then curiosity got the best of me. After glimpsing at the straightforward ingredients (Water, Prickly Pears, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Lime Juice, Pectin, Natural Flavoring.), I was even more intrigued. I absolutely LOVE the taste of prickly pear, but usually when I find it listed in juices and frozen treats, it's overpowered or diluted by other fruit flavors. That was surely not the case with this sorbet. The prickly pear taste was strong and pure, and the lime juice only complemented the flavor, and did not at all distract. 

The sorbet was the best frozen sorbet I've ever had, and even though the texture was not as fine as freshly made sorbet at the local shop (no frozen sorbet ever is), the flavor more than made up for this fact. I will definitely be buying this sorbet again, and after great success using it in smoothies and adding it to sparkling juice, I can't wait to continue to experiment with this flavor. For my fellow prickly pear lovers, I highly suggest you get to your nearest Whole Foods immediately (or whichever store in your area happens to carry this Ciao Bella flavor). 

No comments:

Post a Comment