Sunday, November 25, 2012

Julie's Organic Blackberry Sorbet Bars

I've seen Julie's Organic ice cream at a local grocery store in the past,  but I'd only ever noticed standard flavors like vanilla, chocolate and coffee. Personally, I tend to prefer fruit flavors, or more exotic flavors and blends, which is a major factor in why I shop at so many specialty stores like Whole Foods. So on a recent visit to Whole Foods, I was pleased to see a large selection of more unique offerings from Julie's Organic, including these Blackberry Sorbet Bars.

As a fan of blackberries, I instantly grabbed a box to take home and try. After arriving home, and sticking them in the freezer for a bit, I decided to enjoy one for dessert. After taking only a small bite, I instantly regretted not grabbing several more boxes. Most sorbet products that aren't made fresh, have a very grainy texture. But these had none of that, and were perfectly smooth and creamy, like a cross between sorbet and gelato, so much so that I honestly expected to see some dairy listed in the ingredients. The blackberry flavor was also pleasantly strong, which is no surprise considering that the natural ingredients only consist of blackberries, cane sugar, and a variety of natural (and organic) stabilizers.

The sorbet bars were also a good size, which I didn't expect after reading that each bar had only 60 calories. The box comes with 4 sorbet bars, and cost me $3.99. Although this is on the higher end for a frozen treat, I enjoyed these as much as I would a small cup of sorbet at the local gelato cafe (which would cost me over $3), so that helped to justify the price. I will definitely be buying these regularly from now on, and I can't wait to try some of Julie's other products.

No comments:

Post a Comment