Thursday, November 22, 2012

CP Shrimp Wonton Soup

At a recent trip to Whole Foods, I quickly noticed a special display in the seafood section, which showcased many boxes of CP Shrimp Wonton Soup. I've always loved wonton soup, so I figured it would only be fair to give it a chance.

After about a month, once the weather began to chill, I finally felt like having some soup for lunch and decided to give it a try. I followed the straightforward instructions for the soup (add water to the included bowl, heat for 3 to 4 minutes in the microwave), easy enough. I didn't have much faith in this frozen soup, mostly due to my lack of faith in frozen seafood products  so my expectations were surpassed, but truthfully only slightly.

The broth for the soup was extremely bland. It wasn't as salty as I feared it might be (which seems standard for frozen soups of any kind), but it also had a lack of any sort of flavor. I also noticed there was really no spice to be seen (unlike in the photo), or at least that was the case with my bowl. However, the wontons had a perfect consistency, and the shrimp had a decent consistency that was only borderline rubbery. They also had a lovely taste, which was surprisingly sweet.

The price listed for the item was $3.50 (which was one serving with 5 large pieces), but it was on sale for $2.99. The price seems fairly standard for Whole Foods, but at a grocery store would seem like a bit of a ripoff. I also found that many wholesale stores and some grocery stores sell this in a 6 pack for around $10 (which actually would be a fairly good deal, in my opinion).

Overall, the wonton soup was nowhere near the quality of one you would receive at a Chinese or Thai restaurant, but was superior to what one would expect for a standard grocery store product. Overall, I would not buy this product again, and I would only really recommend it to those that absolutely love wonton soup, and would like to have some to keep on hand for when a restaurant visit is simply out of the question.

9 comments:

  1. The wontons had a perfect consistency, and the shrimp had a decent consistency that was only borderline rubbery. They also had a lovely taste, which was surprisingly sweet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really surprised at this review. In my experience, the broth was delicate and flavorful, with a nice hit of sesame oil, and the wonton were out of this world. Simple, warming, delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best wonton I have eaten in many years including my own. The soup gets bland if you put too much water. The shrimp is crispy and abolutely great for a fast meal or someone that needs something soothing. I used to get thru Costco but they no longer carry it. A shame!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quick and easy wonton soup. I think a shrimp in each won ton is great. Nice size also.The broth is super delicate and tasty.Bland, is in the eye of the taster. I was buying this at Costco ,however they have discontinued this CPBrand. What they have now is not nearly as tasty. Will try WF,but I am afraid of the price there. To me it is a perfect lunch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I much prefer this CP wonton WITHOUT the noodles. I don't need the empty carbs. I love to make it like this: Throw a handful of raw spinach and/or chopped zucchini, yellow squash, leftover broccoli, asparagus etc. in a large soup bowl. If you have a little leftover chicken, pork, tofu etc. chop that up and add it also for more protein. Pour a little low sodium chicken broth over it, sprinkle a little roasted sesame oil on it and microwave for a minute or two. Prepare the wonton per directions--I like using more low sodium broth instead of water. When the wonton/broth is ready, dump in bowl with veggies/meats. U get a nice, wor wonton soup that is really tasty and low carb. Low in calories too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This stuff is the bomb and I wish Costco would carry it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can I find it now? Had one in the freezer and just tried it. It was very good. Now I don't know where I purchased it at.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Costco in NJ did have it about a year ago but i did see two types of it at an asian market if you live in/near NJ http://www.asianfoodmarkets.com/

    ReplyDelete